New RAC Online Amateur Radio Courses: Basic | Advanced
Important Notice: Both of the Basic and Advanced courses are now full and registration has closed. Thank you for your support!
Thank you for the great response to the new RAC online courses! The level of interest in and the demand for the online Amateur Radio Qualification Courses was extraordinary!
Radio Amateurs of Canada offers new Online Amateur Radio Courses
For immediate release:
In response to the current Covid-19 crisis, Radio Amateurs of Canada is pleased to announce that it is introducing two new online Amateur Radio courses so that individuals can upgrade their qualifications while continuing to practise social/physical distancing.
- RAC Online Basic Amateur Radio Qualification Course: The course offers an introduction into the wonderful world of Amateur Radio and prepares students for their Basic Qualification Examination. It will be conducted with the assistance of the Annapolis Valley Amateur Radio Club (AVARC) of Nova Scotia. Note: the course is now full and registration has closed.
- RAC Maple Leaf Operator Online Advanced Qualification Course: The course is an excellent opportunity to upgrade your qualifications so that you will be able to run higher power and to operate your own repeater sites. The course is being offered at no charge to RAC Maple Leaf Operator Members – both current and future – who already have their Basic Amateur Radio Qualification. Note: the course is now full and registration has closed.
RAC Online Basic Amateur Radio Qualification Course:
This course prepares students for the Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada (ISED) Basic Qualification Level Operator Certificate exam to operate on allocated Amateur Radio frequencies.
The course will use the GoToMeeting web-based service and will start on Thursday, April 16 and will finish in mid-June. Classes will be held on Thursday evenings from 6 pm to 8:30 (1800 – 2030) Eastern Time (1900 – 2130 Atlantic Time) and Sunday afternoons 1 pm to 3:30 pm (1300 – 1530) Eastern Time (1400 – 1630 Atlantic Time).
The course instructor is Al Penney, VO1NO. Al was first licensed in 1977 and has been active in many areas of Amateur Radio including contesting, DXing, VHF/UHF weak signal, satellites, emergency communications and DXpeditioning. He has served as the President of six different Amateur Radio clubs in both Canada and the United States and currently chairs the International Amateur Radio Union (IARU) Region 2 Band Planning Committee. Al has taught the Basic Qualification Amateur Radio Course since 1994.
Cost: The registration fee for the course is $50 plus GST/HST. The cost of the Basic Study Guide is extra and an order link will be provided upon completion of payment.
For more information please visit: https://www.rac.ca/basic-radio-course/
RAC Maple Leaf Operator Online Advanced Qualification Course
The new RAC Online Advanced Qualification Course is an excellent opportunity to upgrade your qualifications so that you will be able to run higher power and to operate your own repeater sites.
The course will be offered at no charge to RAC Maple Leaf Operator Members – both current and future – who already have their Basic Amateur Radio Qualification including:
- Current RAC Maple Leaf Operator Members who have Basic certification
- Current RAC members who upgrade their memberships to become Maple Leaf Operator Members
- Amateurs who are not RAC members but who join RAC at the Maple Leaf Operator Member level
In order to offer maximum flexibility, we will be running two Advanced courses so students will be able to choose one of the following two options:
- Sunday afternoons from 3 pm to 5 pm ET
- Monday evenings from 8:30 pm to 10:30 pm ET
The course will be 10 sessions in length and each session will be two hours long and it will run from the week of April 5 to the week of June 14.
The course instructor is Dave Goodwin, VE9CB. Dave has been an Amateur since 1975, is an active HF Contester and DXer and has many other interests in Amateur Radio. Since 2015, Dave has been teaching Basic and Advanced certification courses with the Fredericton (NB) Amateur Radio Club. Dave is also RAC’s Atlantic Director.
For more information please visit: https://www.rac.ca/amateur-radio-courses/rac-online-advanced-course/